Here are seven top tips on how to avoid some common mistakes:
- Shoot with light on your subjects, not behind them.
- Short is sweet. Social media video audiences slump after 90 seconds. Make every second count. Only use your very best shots.
- It’s video, not stills photography. Get up close. Fill the screen with action.
- Don’t wave the phone around or chase vague pans. Decide what’s exciting, point your phone and hold it still. Let the action happen inside the screen.
- Change shot frequently in the edit. Every one to four seconds is about right, depending on your plan and what the shot needs. No more.
- Practise. The more you make videos the more you’ll make great videos!
- Video can be a fantastic way of promoting your messages or telling a story. But it’s just another tool, not a magic potion. Sometimes writing – and viewing – a few bullet points is quicker, easier and just as effective.